Urban and Public Affairs is an interdisciplinary field highlighting ideas and issues faced by urban communities. Combining methods and theories from a wide cross-section of social sciences including economics, political science, sociology, and geography, Urban and Public Affairs ties them all together by focusing on the urban component.
Over half of the world’s population already lives in cities, and the United Nations projects that by 2050 another 2.5 billion people will be living in urban centers. The way in which we plan, build, and manage our cities is imperative to the success of our collective future.
Our academic programs prepare students for careers in urban governance, nonprofit management, urban planning, and public policy, just to name a few. Learn more about the degree offerings from Urban and Public Affairs here!
Students graduating with the B.A. in Sustainability will be able to:
- Understand, conceptualize and analyze sustainability problems and issues in a holistic way.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the basic concepts in sustainability, and the disciplines that can assist with real-world problem solving.
- Evaluate the role of social institutions and the political, legal, and cultural frameworks for sustainability.
- Acquire methods and techniques to explore and analyze issues that cross disciplinary boundaries.
- Understand ethical perspectives for issues related to sustainability.
- Obtain practical experience through a required sustain ability-related internship.
- Develop skills that will facilitate creative, innovative, and workable solutions to sustainability problems.
Find out more about the Bachelor of Arts in Sustainability
Visit College of Arts & Sciences Advising for assistance with your major or minor.